Jan 4, 2022

REFLECTIONS WITH A WINK

If you were to ask me what the most important advice I would give my younger self would be, I would say, to relax and keep your eyes open, you will learn all the relevant things in due time(wink).  

I feel like I am on a roll these days in the kitchen, the herbs all come together in a burst of aroma, then into flavour, the salt added to each meal no longer needs the measuring spoon's assistance, it is salt of the naked eye(wink). The soup's thickness let's you eat with the eye, way before the food touches your mouth palette, talk about an appetizer(wink)! The tomatoes succumb, no longer forming rebellions against my meal plans but pouring out their juice to let for a sumptuous presentation at the table.  

Watching those that came before us, put food before us to dine, was remarkable, their meals would keep you feeling like you must have done something right to be in food Heaven although simultaneously leaving you worrysome about whether you could ever reach that pedestal in this lifetime and cook so marvelously. Coming from a family of bland food eaters, I wondered how my mother made so much from so little. That only made things, one more fear higher for me. 

One day, life had happened in the blink of an eye and I was suddenly a wife(don't even remember how being a fiance felt), I became a mother, wooo!! I remember once putting cucumber in a fish stew, to try and add twist to the meal, that semi-quinine taste has never left my memory! But you see, it is those try outs, observing and re-dos that got us to the roll that my people and I, can now call "experiencing food" rather than an eating nightmare. I put my back into the cooking and you can feel their love in the eating. I am sure that's what they call a, "win-win!(wink)"
The family's favourite, natural turmeric and cinnamon rice😋


If you have time, time will be generous to you with experience. So really, yours is to take it easy, no fussing, just seeing, feeling, listening and noting.  Meanwhile, I think I just took yours and my time here to say, stay teachable(wink).

No comments:

Post a Comment

EQUALLY UNEQUAL

They call it fast food, I call it a saviour on that rare day, with a quick fix when there's nothing else to eat in the scary dark hour. ...

Now Trending!