Aug 1, 2021

Pressure of the Peers


The highest form of self fulfillment is freedom.

Peer pressure sounds like a term that best fits the adolescent calibre. We often think they are the ones that have vain impressions to make on their kind, that they worry too much about mostly what should be nothing and are the personification of pseudo-perfection, except for the boys, when it comes to their messy rooms, of course!, which seem like Messi always passes by for a training on thee ball game of the foot!

I have come to identify peer pressure dwelling in all seasons of life, might be to varying extents but it exists. The other day,  I smelt the vapour of a hard liquor dispersing into the highs of my house, I hadn't opened it so, oddly someone else had. Trying not to cause any false alarms, I hurriedly went to check that it wasn't the little ninja playing adventure games, which turned out, he really wasn't. Feeling like Nancy Drew now, I quietly continued my search. My eyes led me to a glass filled with a brown liquid whose ethanol smelled stronger as I got closer. The one that held it though, was the bigger shock. 

This awesome human had not held this kind of stuff in literally, years! Ulcers backed by witnessing the foolery that slipping into unregulated alcohol consumption can breed in others had shyed them from the drink. I had myself taken it so many notches down back into sane drinking of mostly wine, since leaving college, becoming a mother and understanding how useless, not forgetting, disruptive, it can be. This human, though, wanted a twist to the weekend, I guess. However, the human drank it, what seemed like stealthily, like they didn't want to get caught or were not sure they wanted to and that was the sad part. Had my carved in stone drinking changes, made them feel wrong about a drink that was clearly stocked in our house? Had me being a practicing nutritionist for a long while made them think alcohol is a death sentence? 

I needed them to be void of pressure because we shouldn't make decisions based on others aside yourself and if not over done, not all fun things will be regretted later, some are here for just that, FUN! So life is more on the achieving end but also, memorable!
So, for the rest of the evening, I was quiet about even noticing a thing and silently cheered them on, with hilarious conversation as they enjoyed themselves. I was simply happy that Jack was happy, out of the box. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

EQUALLY UNEQUAL

They call it fast food, I call it a saviour on that rare day, with a quick fix when there's nothing else to eat in the scary dark hour. ...

Now Trending!